Monday, September 20, 2010

Fresh Mayonnaise

This is not staged, the fridge actually looks like this.
There is something rather satisfying about opening the fridge and seeing jars and jars of your own handy work.  Applesauce, pickles, mayo, salsa, hummus, guacamole...  This morning I had a bee in my bonnet and ended up making several condiments.  The first on the list was mayonnaise.  Yummy, fresh, somewhat spicy, homemade...

My jalapenos
Mayonnaise is one of those things I always wanted to make but was way too chicken to try.  There is no real reason why, I just got wussy.  Then, in July, the teen and I were watching reruns of Alton Brown's "Good Eats" on the Food Network and wouldn't you know it, the entire episode was on making mayonnaise.  He made it seem so easy!  So, I tried it.  Guess what?  It is easy!  After tasting it the first time, I swore NEVER to buy mayo again.

Being GF (gluten free), can sometimes be a tricky thing.  The biggest trap is sauces, dressings and marinades.  Soooo many of them contain "food starch" or "modified food starch".  This includes mayo.  And really, why is it so darned expensive??!?  Then there are all of those preservatives and things I can't even pronounce.  To top it all off, I rather enjoy different flavors (herbs, spices) in my mayo.  Ten years ago while on a missions trip to Ukraine, I was introduced to garlic mayonnaise.  Yummy!  I NEED FLAVOR!!  

For my vegan friends, I am still looking for a recipe.

My cute Rosemary bush.
So today, our mayo included; garlic (four large cloves), jalapenos (two, organic, from my garden) and fire oil.  This is an adaptation of Alton Brown's "Party Mayonnaise".  Experiment with different fresh herbs and spices.  Be creative, don't be shy.  Last time, the mayo included fresh rosemary.

This can be made in the food processor, on the lowest speed setting.  Three things to know ahead of time;

  1. The mayo will need to set out for TWO HOURS before refrigeration.  The lime juice and vinegar does something chemically to the egg (at room temp) that prevents salmonella.
  2. Add the oil SLOWLY at a small steady stream.  If it is poured in too quickly the mayo will not do its mayo thing. 
  3. Olive oil does not work.  The molecules do not do that mayo thing.

Ingredients

  • 2 TBSP  white wine vinegar
  • 2 TBSP lime juice
  • 1 whole egg 
  • 1 egg white
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp dry mustard, heaping
  • 2 to 3 TBSP chile or fire oil
  • 2 C (minus 2 to 3 TBSP) corn oil or safflower oil
Directions

Place all ingredients, except the oil, in the food processor and blend well.  Turn on processor (low setting) and add the oil in a slow, steady stream.
Let the mayo sit at room temperature for two hours then refrigerate. This keeps for about 10 days. 

2 comments:

  1. I totally want to learn how to can next year. Maybe you can do a step by step video on here. I made a couple salsas and quacamole last week. But, I think there is something wonderful about it coming from your own garden like you do:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make this sound so easy I may even try it! :)

    I agree with Gloria - do videos!!! :) YouTube is the 2nd largest search engine behind Google and you can embed the video you post there into your blog posts :) Plus then we get to see your beautiful face! ;)

    I was thrilled to find out you've joined us bloggers... yay!!! You rock :)

    ReplyDelete